Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hod of Hod - Humility of Humility: I guess I got a taste of this one!

I said in a post a few months ago how it seems God brings into my life the very thing He intends for me to teach about.  Well, this week is no different.  The truth is, this post was supposed to have been written Saturday, but due to my trip I had to postpone writing it.  Then it happened.  I, well, I got the lesson from God.  Humble pie.  I have had a slice of that pie before and its not very good.  In fact, it is bitter medicine.



Have you ever seen a small child when they take a spoon full of yucky tasting medicine?  The face they make is priceless!  I have a feeling I had the same look on Sunday night around midnight.  The weekend had been long and tiring.  I had been driving for over 7 1/2 hours and home was only 20 minutes away. There was virtually no traffic and although I preach to my sons about the fact you should never drive more than 5 miles over the speed limit, I was tired!  I wanted to get home.  Everyone else seemed to get away with it.  I had been passed for the last 7 hours by car after car doing at least 90 mph.

No one was out at that time of night.  I could practically see the county line and we were no longer on the interstate.  The local four-lane was a road I traveled frequently and I had never seen a law enforcement officer on that stretch of highway.  Just this once I was going for it.  The speed limit was 55, but I sped up to 70 and moved over in the left lane to go around a slower car.  Just as I did, my son said, "what was that car doing?"  I turned just in time to see the lights come on behind some bushes.

There was no need to argue.  I was guilty.  He was right.  I was doing 15 mph over the speed limit.  I had made a mistake, a very costly mistake.  One to the tune of $173.  Choices, with consequences.  I paid a high price for disobedience and the consequences may not be over.  I don't know if it will affect my insurance rates yet.  That is only the second speeding ticket I have ever received in my life.  The first one was 25 years ago and I vowed then that I would never get another.

Do you remember what I said yesterday about making sure you get plenty of rest and eat regularly so you don't get in a position of compromise?  Well, isn't that where I was with this one?  You can not always prevent yourself from being in a state of exhaustion or hunger, I certainly understand that fact.  I could not have prevented myself from being tired in this situation, but there is something I could have prevented.  I had not read the Word all weekend.

Why had I not read His Word?  Was I afraid that people would see me reading it?  Was I afraid of being made fun of?  Am I not disciplined enough?  What kept me from it?  How can I look Him in the face and answer that question?  I had time for so many things, but for the One who loves me more than anything?  He loved me before I was born.  He chose me, sought me and loves me beyond anything I can imagine.  How could I give Him the cold shoulder?

There are people who would tell me that God CAUSED me to get a speeding ticket, because I didn't spend time with Him over the weekend.  Those people obviously don't really understand the truth of God's word.  He would never do that.  You see, the laws of God are not, (as we have discussed earlier), do's and don'ts.  They are connections to Him.  If we do not connect with Him properly, we will pay consequences.  These consequences are natural consequences of our actions by being disconnected to God.  Just as a lamp won't work without being connected to a power outlet, we won't work without being connected to the source of our power.  Plug a 220 amp dryer into 110 amp plug-in and see what happens!  Improperly connected!  There are consequences.  Not plugged in at all brings no power, but improperly plugged in can bring disastrous results.

Humility of Humility is being okay with your humility, even in the face of adversity.  This past weekend, if I had been willing to have a routine of rising early to read His Word and pray (humility), perhaps I would have been listening to His voice a little closer instead of following my own voice.  Are you afraid that people will know you are His?  Do you try to mask it by going overboard with bad language or listening to inappropriate music?  Do you join in with the crowd in order to fit in and not stand out as an individual?

What would happen if you separated yourself for Him instead?  I think I need to re-think my own life a little more.  I still have a putrid taste in my mouth............spew, spew!!!  I really don't want another bite.  How about you?  

Shalom~~~~~


No comments: