Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A New Week in the Counting and a New Concept!

I have said this so many times in my posts, but it seems that God brings the situation into my life I am writing about and this past week was no different.  In fact, this post is no different.  This post is extremely difficult for me, because the situation is very close and personal.  In fact, if this were pen and paper instead of a computer screen there would probably be tear stains on the words.  It is so personal I can not share the situation, but believe me it has everything to do with today's counting concept.

Over the past week we have talked about the different aspects of love, but now we will talk about the different aspects of discipline or boundaries.  Our first day of this week's counting of the Omer is Chesed of Gevurah or Love in Discipline.  (We could also call it Love in Boundaries as well.)  We have talked about unconditional love and how that kind of love does not mean love without boundaries.  Unconditional love means I will always love you, period.  You can not earn it or do anything to lose it, but because I love you there must be boundaries for your best interest (and since we are human, mine as well).  Let me give you a really good example:  have you ever picked up a baby or small child that you just adored and hugged them so tight you squeezed and squeezed and thought you could just squeeze them tighter, but you knew you couldn't or it could cause injury or death?  That is unconditional love with boundaries - for the baby's best interest (and yours since you probably don't want to spend the rest of your life in prison).  You have to put boundaries on your love or you will cause harm to that child.  To just say I love you unconditionally without setting boundaries may give the other person license.....do you understand?

Now back to today's counting.  Chesed of Gevurah is the opposite.  Do we set boundaries without love in the mix?  Do we discipline without enough love involved?  Love should always be the motivating factor in our discipline or the setting of boundaries.  If we are helping someone else to see their "faults", are we using love or just judgment?

Let me give you this quote as a guideline.  Although it isn't from the Bible or a Jewish publication I think it is a great guideline to use in this area.  It was given to me by one of the most precious people in my life.
             "If its very painful for you to criticize your friends, you're safe in doing it.  But if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that's the time to hold your tongue."  Alice Duer Miller

Until tomorrow, Shalom, my friends.



No comments: