Saturday, October 5, 2013

When the Holy Spirit came He did away with the need for education!

Oops!  Did I really say that?  Perhaps it is all the drugs I have been taking lately or just the virus inside me.  You see, I have been home for several days with Type A Flu!  They have just started offering the flu shots at work and already the bug is starting.  I haven’t had the flu in 30 years!  I am zapped!  This is the first day in four days in which I have felt like a human being.  I am taking Tamiflu (a lifesaver) and took Tylenol for the first couple of days. 

I haven’t been able to read, watch TV or look at a computer screen without my eyes crossing.  In fact, my husband must really love me (after all he has been with me for 36 years), today is the first day I have showered in four days.  I looked and smelled pretty bad, I’m guessing on that one since I have no ability to smell at this point in time.  Of course, my first day with the flu followed him having two days of the intestinal bug in which he was, you know, not the most pleasant of roommates.  I pray he does not get this mess!  I would not wish this on the worst of my enemies.  PEOPLE: GET THE FLU SHOT AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE FOR YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, on to the subject matter stated in my headline.   I am a person who, all my life has been one who searches for truth.  I don’t care what the standard or norm has always been.  If there is even a hint of non-truth in it, I want to know.  I want to go all the way back to the origin and start there and come forward to find out where the truth got off course.  It is beyond me how anyone can accept something other than the truth. 

The United States of America prides itself in being a nation based on educational values.  In accordance with figures from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and yes I spelled that first word right.  That is the way they spell it on their web site http://www.oecd.org/about/  in 1999 the USA was 1st among the industrialized nations in education, but in 2013 we are at best 12th

We push our children to better educate themselves and go farther.  We are constantly raising the bar in education and in the workplace, requiring higher education to qualify.  Now, let’s think about this; the people who make up the church, what occupations do they have outside of the church?  Well, let me think about the people I know.  I’ll list them:


Physicians                                     Lawyers                                       School teachers
College Professors                         College Administrators                   Factory workers
Building Contractors                       Law Enforcement                         Business Administrators
Day Care Workers                         Accountants                                  Bankers
Jewelers                                        Speech Pathologist                         Secretaries
Librarians                                      Coaches                                        Underwater Welder
Painting Contractor                        EMT                                                   

It seems the Church is made up of all occupations of life.  It also seems as if the Church is made up of a wide range of educational levels.  It is one of the few organizations on earth where you will find so much educational variance among its members.  Now, this is not to say that factory workers do not have a college education or that some of the highly skilled occupations like underwater welding have a diverse education.

My question to you now is this, if we are filled with such a diverse and educated membership, why are we so ignorant on the scriptures themselves?  When in the work world we say, “Wait a minute, I’ll need to check the source of that material out.”  Yet in the Church we just sit back and say, “Okay.”  It is as if when we walk through the doors of a church building we lose our educational sense.  We just sit back and relax and think, “Tell me what to think, cause I have to think every other day of the week and I don’t want to have to think on Sunday.  Besides, you have the Holy Spirit and all those guys who translated the Bible from the Greek to English had the Holy Spirit, so I don’t need to think.  Just lay it out there for me!”

Why have we allowed ourselves to be taken captive by those who “told us” what the scripture meant, without taking into account whether those people were legitimate?  So as not to be misunderstood, I am not talking about your local pastor but, perhaps it is time we went back for a little history lesson to see where we were misled.

Just for starters, let me ask you a few questions to see how you answer them:
1.      Who were the 3000 people saved on Pentecost?
2.      In Matthew 24:37-44, there will two working in the field, who will be taken and who will be left?
3.      In Galatians 3:1, who is Paul addressing his famous “bewitched” speech to?  Jews or Gentiles?
4.      When Jesus died and rose again, did he do away with the Law?

Have you thought about these?  I want so much to get into these today, but I want discussion….from you!  Not to put you on the spot, I just want to see how educated my readers and the general public are.  So?  What are your answers to the four questions?  I’ll pick this post up in a few days!  Shalom!











No comments: