Sunday, April 23, 2023

Seeking the Living Among the Dead

     



    A thought occurred to me last night as I was getting ready for bed. I hear this phrase a lot when obstacles come into the life of people of God, "The devil has done everything to keep me from doing what God wants me to do." I do agree that satan works hard to throw us off track, but what if we took a different approach in our thoughts and words.

    Think about this perspective. In our world today, mass shootings are becoming commonplace. Whenever one happens I hear commentators say they refuse to use the name of the shooter, because they don't want to contribute to their legacy. Perhaps we should do the same when obstacles block our path. It kind of seems that we are giving the enemy way too much publicity. 

    What if we said this instead, "Man God is working in my life today! He has helped me overcome every obstacle I have encountered!"  

    Can you think of anything more offensive than for someone else to get the credit for something you have done? Can you just imagine how mad the enemy would be if we never mentioned his name, but started giving God the glory every time?

    John 24 recounts the story of the women going to the tomb on Sunday after the crucifixion of Jesus. They had an encounter with two angels who say to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has been raised up!" Hallelujah! Jesus is alive and living forever and ever! 

    The enemy is dead. He has been overcome and his destiny is a lake of fire! Just like a condemned person on death row. They are as good as dead. So why do we seek Jesus among the dead? He is not there. HE IS RISEN! So let me challenge you to seek the living among the living! Stop looking for a demon around every corner. You know what? Jesus said, "Seek and you will find." Stop seeking the enemy and seek HIM!

    I know it is difficult, but start the practice of giving God the glory for literally EVERYTHING! Not feeling well, give Him the glory! Car won't start, give Him the glory! Unexpected bills happen, give Him the glory! Marriage disintegrating, give Him the glory! A horrible diagnosis, give Him the glory! Caught in traffic, give Him the glory!

    Will giving Him glory change our circumstances? Probably not, but it will change us! And you know what? It might not even be the enemy doing these things. Some of the obstacles may be God intervening to either keep you from harm OR to get your attention. Notice I said some, not necessarily all of them. 

    Can you imagine what the Israelites thought when the plagues came into Egypt, or when they saw the cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night? Could they have been convinced, at first, that the enemy was descending on them? But God! Yes, it was God's hand working to get their attention and save them. What if they had attributed those things to the enemy rather than God! Do not give the enemy credit for anything! Give all the credit to God!

    Paul says in Philippians 4:4-13 NIV

        "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

        "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

    "I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength."

    Here's to a new attitude and way of life! GIVE GOD THE GLORY IN ALL THINGS! AMEN!

No comments: