Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What Are You Carrying Into The New Year?


                                                                 The Weight of the World          

 

 Do you often time feel as though you are carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders?  Do you worry and stay in a state of depression due to things around you that are out of your control?  We were never meant to be this way.  So often (probably 98% of the time) the things we worry about, never come to pass and we have wasted precious time in self-absorbed distraction. 
On the Sunday before Christmas, one of the scripture passages in my Sunday school book was Isaiah 9:5.  It reads,
For a child has been born to us, a son has been given to us, and the government will be upon his shoulders;”
My teacher stopped and asked, “What do you think it means that the government will be upon his shoulders?  There was quite a bit of discussion and the lesson went on with the usual Christmas reading from Matthew and Luke of the Christmas story. 

Think about that question for a moment?  All the English translations say shoulders, but the Hebrew translation says shoulder.  Hmmm, interesting.  I have thought a lot about that in regard to things we say.  I even looked up modern day quotes that use the word shoulder and here are some of the things we say with that word in it:
Shoulder responsibility
Shoulder to cry on (or lean)
Shoulder to the wheel
Chip on your shoulder
Look over your shoulder
Standing shoulder to shoulder
He has broad shoulders to fill
And finally, she is carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders.
  Is that how you feel at this moment?  Has life dealt you so much that you feel you can’t shoulder another thing?  Just today a facebook post came through from a friend that said, “ I can’t take any more bad news.  I just received a phone call that a cousin killed herself.  A friend yesterday and a cousin today.”
There are times when the world just seems to come crashing in and we feel as though the weight of the entire world has been laid on our shoulders.  We feel like our feet will go crashing through the floor from all the weight.  It even becomes difficult to pick one foot up to take a step.  Perhaps we seem to find one part of our life straightening out while another crashes down. 
I’ve been there.  In the fall of 2000 my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer.  The day he was scheduled for his first chemo treatment, my mom was scheduled for eye surgery 3 ½ hours away.  I stayed in town with Daddy and my brother and sister-in-law went with Mother.  Fourteen hours into the day we were informed that the surgery was unsuccessful.  Twenty-four hours later my mom still wasn’t fully out from under the anesthesia (we were almost certain she had suffered a stroke, but the doctors said no) and 36 hours later her blood pressure had sky-rocketed.  She was, however, released less than 48 hours after the surgery with blood pressure back under control. 
I wish I could say the saga was over at this point, but no.  This was only the beginning of six long years.  Four years of in and out of the hospital with my dad before his death was followed by two years of the ravages of breast cancer with my mom before her death.  We had four months of chill time in-between his death and her diagnosis.
 During that six year time period, my oldest son earned his driver’s license, started dating, graduated high school, started college and yes, he even got married.  My dad ended up in the hospital just five days before the wedding and I forgot to plan a dessert for the rehearsal dinner.  My mother-in-law had four bypasses on that same son’s 18th birthday.  She has also had her carotid arteries cleaned out in her neck and has survived breast cancer herself, all during the same six year period my parents were going through their illnesses. 
 Believe me, I have even more I could add, but there really is no need.  I do want you to know something, when the doctors could not get to the problem in my mother’s eye, the problem got much worse.  Her eye literally looked like the button area of the cushion on a couch.  The white part was puffed out around the iris.  As I left the hospital one evening and picked up my son at work, I cried out, “God, we just can’t take all of this at one time.  Please help us and heal Mother’s eye.”   The next morning her eye was back to normal and it stayed that way the rest of her life.  No other explanation, but God!
Now let me get back to that Sunday school lesson.  As we neared the end of the lesson, my teacher’s wife said, “Let me read something for you.  I have a note written in my Bible from, I guess a sermon or a Bible study at some point that says, we don’t have to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders.
‘It will be on that day that He will lift the affliction from your shoulders, and his yoke from upon your neck, and the yoke will be broken because of the oil.’  Isaiah 10:27”
I think several of us just sat there engrossed deeply in the words she spoke and read at that moment, because no one said anything.  We were letting those words sink in.  As soon as Church was over, I went to her and asked for the passage and we began to talk about it.  She replied how she felt so strongly the need to read those words that morning, because so many people looked as though they were carrying heavy burdens.  I know I was one of those.  I needed those words.  There were people I also needed to share those words with, but there is a much greater lesson here so let me explain.
This scripture in Isaiah is written in regard to King Hezekiah who came into power after his dad, Ahaz.  Ahaz was a horrible king who did everything, except worship the Lord God.  He was evil from the get-go.  Hezekiah, on the other hand, was a Godly king beyond measure.  He tried to reconstruct the nation of Judah into a Torah nation.  He tore down the idols and the temples used for the worship of them, he restored the Holy temple and reinstated the festivals.  One of the greatest feats he accomplished was to bring back the study of Torah.  At one point he was surrounded by the Assyrians and cried out to God.  God heard him and guess what?  The next morning, 185,000 of the Assyrians were dead and the Judeans had not lifted a finger.  God had obviously been walking through that camp!  That verse in Isaiah 10:27 says it is because of the oil.  The commentary in my Tanach (the Orthodox Hebrew translation) says this:
“The Sages comment that Hezekiah earned the miracle of the destruction of the Assyrian forces because of the copious amounts of oil that he used to keep lamps burning in the study halls so that the people could learn Torah late into the night.”
You see, we can’t just go about business as the world does and expect God to deliver us or take the weight off our shoulders when things start piling up on us.  I am afraid too many Christians think they can live like the world and expect God to deliver them from the world.  That is not it at all.  The point is this; if we will devote ourselves to studying His Torah (His Word), I mean really studying it, not just reading a little passage every day, then He will devote Himself to us.  How do I know this?  The verse says:  “that the yoke will be broken because of the oil.”
And do you know what else is really, really neat about this whole thing?  The more we study Torah, the more God lifts off our shoulders and takes on His.  The more we study Torah, the more we learn about God which causes us to see things from a different perspective.  This in itself causes us to worry less and trust Him more.  We then begin to see a bigger picture and by doing so it allows us to stop looking through a keyhole and stand instead, on top of the mountain where we can see a clear view.   We can now enjoy the beauty of the forest while looking at the trees. 
And this is the bestest part!  When Yeshua came to earth, He had already been given all the power and authority on His shoulder.  When he took that cross with the penalty for all the sin of the world on His shoulder, the penalty had to lay on top of that authority and power!  Aaaaannnnnnddddd  the power (authority and dominion) was there to rest (stay – the authority will rest upon His shoulder, remember the verse from Isaiah?), but the penalty had to go!!!!!  Hallelujah!  He was the only one with the authority to overcome the penalty for the sin of the world!!!!  I can’t do it and neither can you, but He could and He did!  He paid the price FOR you!
“And you are not your own, for you have been redeemed at infinite cost. Therefore glorify God in your bodies.” 1 Corinthians 6:20 Weymouth New Testament
As you begin this New Year, why not make this verse your daily meditation.  Let it really sink in that YOU  were redeemed at an infinite (immeasurable, countless, inestimable, interminable –[perpetual, never-ending]) cost.  Let 2013 be the year of new perspectives on your life, the life of others and on your relationship with the one who paid an infinite cost for you.  May this be the year that your blinded eyes are opened to see the great and mighty and wondrous things He has in store for you, my friend! 
“For the Lord, your God, is God of gods and the Lord of the lords, the great mighty and awesome God,”  Deuteronomy 10:17  Tanach (Orthodox Hebrew translation)
What a mighty God we serve!!!!  Happy New Year!  SHALOM!
 

‘2013’
 
 
 



HAPPYNEW YEAR!
 


No comments: